At Halio we believe everyone has the right to experience light, because access to views and natural daylight help people to be healthier, companies to experience productivity boosts, and our buildings to be more energy-efficient and sustainable. In 2010, we set out to find the best and simplest way to control sunlight. Our goal was to give people the ability to let in the maximum amount of natural light into their work and living spaces, while mitigating glare and reducing solar heat gain.
We are now looking for a (Senior) Corporate Counsel who loves technology and will have an appreciation for great engineering, architecture, art, and design to help us get our Halio™ smart-tinting glass into commercial buildings and homes.
In this position, counsel will have a broad range of freedom and responsibility to develop legal systems and processes for commercializing hardware and IOT devices as well as intercompany transactions. The successful candidate will work with senior management, business development, foreign subsidiaries, marketing and sales teams to provide counseling on a wide range of documents and agreements to advance business objectives while appropriately managing risk.
The ideal candidate is a mid-level or senior attorney who has demonstrated acumen and experience with various types of technology, licensing, supply, sales, partnership and other commercialization agreements related to electronics, semiconductors, displays, software, firmware, hardware as well as vendor equipment purchase and lease agreements. A background that incorporates a mixture of law firm and in-house experience is ideal. A strong background in all facets of commercial law is required, and international experience in the far east is preferred.
This role is expected to develop strategic business relationships with Kinestral’s subsidiaries, its sales and marketing teams, and its external partners; lead contract negotiations, drive cost savings initiatives, implement strategic best practices, and provide legal advice and support on transactions supporting the day-to-day operations of the company.
- Negotiate, review and draft commercial transaction agreements.
- Design and implement internal processes for management of transactions, including coordination with finance
- Provide strategic and business legal support for internal clients, including sales and licensing agreements, warranties and other commercial documents
- Apply a practical and well-balanced perspective to legal issues, including a can-do attitude and hands-on approach to drafting and driving agreements through execution
- 5+ years of experience in commercial contracts, with a strong background in sales transactions, software transactions, technology transactions, and commercial law experience. Experience in construction and/or IOT a plus.
- J.D. with excellent academic credentials, and licensed to practice preferably in California.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently, prioritize workflow, meet demanding deadlines, and manage multi-faceted projects in a fast-paced environment
- Sound and practical business judgment
- Ability to work independently while being able to contribute successfully to cross-functional teams